ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")

2009-07-08 11:31:33
Subject: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives (or "there has to be a better way")
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:30:36 -0400
I need thoughts/suggestions/help on how to deal with SAN attached tape
drive replacements when a library is shared amongst 5-servers.

We just has a drive replaced, therefore giving us a new serial number
(3494ATL - TS1130).  All servers that use these drives/libraries are
RedHat Linux and use very current lin_tape drivers.

Currently, the method we use is to bounce each server so the system
rescans the SAN and gets the new serial number.

In the past, just stopping the TSM server and then restarting the lin_tape
driver would often be enough. Now with the latest lin_tape drivers, I
don't see the lin_taped daemon running any more.

Yes, I have tried updating the paths on the library manager server and
telling it to autodetect but that didn't help.

There has to be a better way!  If you have a similar configuration, how do
you handle this scenario?