ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VTL Tape Size

2009-07-08 09:01:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VTL Tape Size
From: "Tchuise, Bertaut" <BTchuise AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:59:30 -0400
Andy,

Regarding the point made below about writing 100GB exchange files on
smaller VTL volumes, you are probably aware of this but you could make
use of the maximum size threshold parameter on the VTL storage pool. Any
data whose size matches or exceeds the threshold will be sent straight
to the next storage pool in your architecture preferably the physical
tape pool thus alleviating the load on the VTL and avoiding large data
spanning across multiple VTL volumes.

In our environment, each of our TSM servers is configured as its own VTL
Library (We allocated a certain number of expandable VTL volumes per
server in the VE for Tape Console and checked them in TSM); the VTL pool
sits between the disk and tape pools; we defined maximum size thresholds
on our disk and VTL storage pools.

The only tape contention issues we encounter on rare occasions are
concurrent migrations and storage pool backups needing the same volume;
they are quickly resolved either by letting the server negotiate the
priority between the processes or by canceling one of the processes and
initiating at a later time.

I hope you work out your issues with the VTL Andy.

BERTAUT TCHUISE
Storage Support Administrator
Legg Mason Technology Services
*410-580-7032