ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM6.1 on Linux

2009-07-07 18:03:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM6.1 on Linux
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:00:15 +0200
On 7 jul 2009, at 19:34, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:

For those that tested 6.1 in a Linux environment I'm looking for any
problems you had. During my testing on AIX and Windows I had failures
during the installation which were always DB2 related. I'm getting
ready
to bring up TSM on a Linux box and am looking for your experience.
This
is a new installation not an upgrade. This is a test but I really want
to get a working environment up as quickly and easily as possible. In
the end I will blow this away and bring it up on an IBM p series box
running Linux which will hopefully be just as easy but for now this is
just a test on a blade I was given till the other hardware arrives.

I've installed 6.1 on debian and opensuse. Unfortunately, TSM 6.1 on a
minimal install is untested (and not very well documented) and the
deployment engine will fail in horrible ways. If you just install
opensuse including a gui, java, ksh and more (select everything), it
will work quite easily. One thing: Linux on x86 is only supported in
64 bit mode! Another thing, make 100% sure that you local hostname
(output of hostname) is not mapped to 127.0.0.2 but to a real IP
address of your server. There is some misfeature in DB2 that actually
depends on real TCP/IP communications to the localhost based on the
hostname (rather than 127.0.0.1).

On debian I did a few tricks (bypassing the DE), and all was fine. I
have a feeling that debian is a better OS for running TSM than
OpenSUSE (or bypassing the DE is a good idea, take your pick ;-)).

May I enquire why you'd want to replace the most robust OS on the
planet (AIX) on your p series with Linux? Not that I don't like Linux,
I just think AIX is superior.

I will direct 2 LTO2 drives to this box from the 3584 along with a VTL
that is coming in this week. Learning Linux from scratch so I really
have no idea how these devices are even found. I have SAN disk
displayed
for DB and I need to figure out how to get all that set up too,
unfortunately it's not something I've figured out. I can tap some
other
Linux resources here for help with that I hope. I'm taking notes on
what
I've done with specific commands since I certainly won't remember it
tomorrow. I really hate asking for documents others have put together
but in this case, since I'm being pressured to get this going, I
certainly would appreciate anything others have put together if anyone
may have something already.

given that I always think that the best platform to run TSM on is the
one you are most familiar with, stick with AIX! Linux is great,
really, but AIX is better.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator