ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VTL Tape Size

2009-07-07 12:24:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VTL Tape Size
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:21:30 -0400

Some considerations:
- This varies with the different VTL vendor's, but some had a maximum number of Virtual Tapes that was allowed in the system, which would argue for larger volumes.  - On the other hand, smaller volumes reduce the amount of reclamation you have to do (depending on your data)
- If you ever want to export to physical tapes, you might want to just use the same size that you are emulating.  I.E. 400GB for LTO3

I ended up going with 200GB volumes for everything, and it seems to work well.  I might consider something smaller if I was redoing it today.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

07/07/2009 11:06 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc
Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] VTL Tape Size

Hi,

I think your volume size should be something fitting the data type going
into the storage pool. Putting 100GB exchange db files on 10gb volumes
or 1kb files on 100GB volumes doesn't seem efficient.

Regads,

Karel