ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SANergy or SAN? some incomprehension in work.

2009-07-03 10:37:52
Subject: [ADSM-L] SANergy or SAN? some incomprehension in work.
From: Gennadiy Khramov <GKhramov AT COMPUTEL DOT RU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:31:21 +0400
Good day all.
A little overview about my test site.
This configuration was made for testing work of SANergy.
I have 2 vmware machines on VMware vCenter Server 4 - Linux (CentOS3) and
Windows 2003.
To both servers was connected disk on SAN.
Win2003 server is SANergy MDC, disk is exported ftom it (E:\) as nfs disk,
Linux server is SANergy host, the exported disk is connected to it (as /E
mountpoint) and it is installed TSM Server v 5.5 and TSM Client on it.

For testing I maked backups to TSM Server from the exported disk /E.
Testing was performed for 4 steps:
when SANergy active and fused volume /E and when all is turned off.
For backup I used large file (700mb) and heaps of small files (50000 files
on 8 kb) separately. Each test I did few times (7-8 times)

At the result i've got strange (for me) results.
Expected: When SANergy work (MDC is running and volume on host is fused)
all data go over SAN.
Unexpected: transfer's speed of large file was almost identical (in both
cases, avg 2,22 mb/s when sanergy turned off and 2,29 when it's on),
meanwhile transfer's speed of small files differs in 2 times.

Results of the this testing have shaken my representations about work of
network SAN :)

As a result there was a question - why so has occurred?
Is it SANergy configuration or something with SAN and vmware
infrastructure? and in what way need to fish for? :)

Thanks a lot for possible advices :)

Best Regards,
Khramov Gennadiy
gkhramov AT computel DOT ru