ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar

2009-07-01 10:42:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs Avamar
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:51:03 -0400
I agree entirely that "VCB" and "beauty" together does not compute, and the
2-phase vmdk restore is dorky.

But regarding the backup cycle, there is an "in between" option most TSM
folks can use without taking the hit of two complete backups ("virtual
drive" and "image" as described below) daily.

TSM has a "restore if newer" option.
Suppose you do your image backups weekly (and that's the one with the
biggest hit on your infrastructure, because it's the entire vmdk image), and
just your progressive incrementals daily.

You can put back the virtual machine by restoring the .vmdk image, then use
the "restore if newer" option to apply the incrementals back on top of the
.vmdk image.  Yes, it will take a bit longer, and more tape mounts.  But
many people, for a large number of their systems, will be able to get
sufficient coverage that way, without taking the hit of doing those full
image backups every day.

Just another strategy.