ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Problem with Mac TSM client and new Java

2009-06-22 07:44:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Problem with Mac TSM client and new Java
From: Jason Zerdin <jason.zerdin AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:39:25 +0100
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it wise in terms of security
to force Java 1.4 to be run?  Although I see it was updated too in this
latest fix, its use is deprecated.

In our case, there are users whose machines we never see, and I'm
worried that if we got them to move to 1.4 then they would never bother
to go back to 1.5 even after the problem is fixed, leaving them open to
 issues (security or otherwise) later.

Or perhaps I'm being overly cautious...!

Jason

Button wrote:
For Macintosh computers running the 10.5.7 Leopard operating system with Java
Update 4 that cannot launch the Tivoli Storage Manager application, is this
workaround useful?

http://sites.google.com/site/macbutton/tsmjavafix

Changing the Java Preference to the updated Java version 1.4 causes Tivoli
Storage Manager to launch for versions 5.5.1.6, 5.5.2.0, and 6.1.0.0 on
Macintosh OS 10.5.7 after the June 15th Java Update 4 on the two computers I
have tested, one laptop and one desktop.

J. Button,
Cornell University

|This was sent by button AT cornell DOT edu via Backup Central.

Dr Jason Zerdin
Systems and Storage Administrator
HFS
OUCS