ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Making sure clientactions start

2009-06-19 20:26:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Making sure clientactions start
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:25:50 -0700
Gary,
     There ought to be way to nail this one down.  You seem to be
getting a behavior that cannot be explained by the facts, given our
collective experience with the product.  So let's replay the details and
see if we are all overlooking the same thing.  Tell me if any of my
facts are wrong:

1) Your client option is set to "schedmode prompted".
2) The client service has been restarted since "schedmode prompted" was
added?
3) Since the last time you restarted the client service, the scheduler
has run a regular client backup.
4) You are running a fairly recent version of the client and server?  I
don't think you said what versions are involved.
5) You have checked the dsmsched.log and you know there is not already a
backup currently running or hung.
6) When you do a 'q event * * node=xxxxxx' you only see the client
action, and it is pending.  You don't see any other events still
running?  What if you add 'begint' and 'begind' to your 'q event' and go
back in time a ways?
6) You have checked the server actlog and you don't see any messages
from the server trying to connect to the client but being refused?
These messages may only contain the IP address of the client, not the
client name, so be sure you don't search through the activity log and
filter for the client name only.
7) There is not a firewall or other IP filter between client and server?
 I have seen a firewall mess up a client action, even when the regular
client schedule was working.  The fix was to restart the client service
one more time after the client action was scheduled.

Let me know if any of these ideas yield fruit.

(By the way, my nephew and his wife are both grad students at Ball
State.  They say it is a great school.)

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC