ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server recovery

2009-06-16 13:15:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server recovery
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:13:00 -0700
Hi Wojciech. You need (obviously) to have hardware that can read the tapes.
Then install a TSM server at 5.2.0.0 on the same OS platform as the
original server. You will need to recreate the device configuration file.
Then run dsmserv display dbbackupvolume against each tape, capture/print
the output and from those tapes that contain a database backup, find the
most current database backup that you can then use to restore the database.
Details on dsmserv display dbbackupvolume are in the 5.2 Admin Reference
book. Once the server database is restored and your server is operational
again, you can then restore client data.

This will take in my estimation about 15 minutes elapsed time per tape, so
depending on the number of tapes, you may have a huge task at hand. This
also underscores the value of having the Recovery Plan File (or equivalent
information) stored with the tapes.

Good luck.

Joerg Pohlmann
250-245-9863

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2009-06-16
02:08:27: