ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Versions kept when only permissions/ownership change

2009-06-16 06:25:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] Versions kept when only permissions/ownership change
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:23:50 +0100
I have a problem with a Solaris client : a rogue script changed
permissions and ownership on all files. The client was then backed up
again. I have tried performing a point-in-time restore of all files to
bring back the lost permissions and ownership.
It appears that this is OK for files that actually changed recently and
for all directories.
But files that haven't changed recently are restored with the
permissions & ownership of the incorrect current state. Looking at
files that haven't changed since creation, they appear to have a single
active and no inactive versions. So the latest backup didn't trigger an
inactive version - and the restore brings back the ancient file and then
applies the permissions & ownership from yesterday.

Is this a feature, a bug or am I doing something wrong ?
Using old 5.1.1.0 client against a 5.4.3.0 server.

--
Steven Bridge   Storage Section, Systems Group, Information Systems,
           Information Services Division, University College London