ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HSM reconcilliation (Windows-Client)

2009-06-05 10:01:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HSM reconcilliation (Windows-Client)
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:00:03 -0400
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:11:20 +0200, Stephan Boldt <stephan.boldt+adsm-l AT
>> GMAIL DOT COM> said:

> Hello everybody,

> [ ... I understand HSM, but the windows HSM product doesn't behave
> as I expect ...]

> Why is this so? What do I have to do to get rid of the deleted file in the
> archive?

Search the logs; I've been ranting about the windows "HSM" product for
years.  I think it's a miserable product.  There are folks on here who
have used it and found it appropriate for their needs, but those needs
are emphatically distinct from what we of TSM HSM experience think of
as HSM applications.

In a nutshell, the windows HSM product makes no use whatsoever of the
TSM HSM concepts.  It makes archives.  Archives, like any other
archives, stick around for RETVER days.

When you write a file, the file gets backed up.

When you migrate a file, the stub gets backed up.  Note, you now have
-no- active version of the full file.

When you retrieve a file, the file gets backed up again.

When you re-migrate a file, the file gets re-archived, and the stub
gets backed up again.

- Allen S. Rout