ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Reclamation query

2009-05-27 14:32:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Reclamation query
From: Steven Langdale <Steven.Langdale AT CAT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:32:27 +0100
Hello all

I'd just like a bit of clarification on an assumption.

I'm reclaiming a relatively small stgpool (20 ish LTO3 tapes) and hitting
something odd.

I can have a volume that is 95+% reclaimable but when the reclaim process
runs, it is reading data from a different tape (this is not an offsite
pool).  Upon investigation, the virtually empty tape has the 2nd segment
of a massive file on it - 1.6TB in size.  The 1st segment is on this other
tape.

So I'm assuming that to reclaim a volume, if it has a file segment on it,
the WHOLE file needs to be moved?  Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks

Steven Langdale
Global Information Services
EAME SAN/Storage Planning and Implementation
( Phone : +44 (0)1733 584175
( Mob: +44 (0)7876 216782
ü Conference: +44 (0)208 609 7400 Code: 331817
+ Email: steven.langdale AT cat DOT com