ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy

2009-05-26 16:40:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SANergy
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:38:57 +0200
On 26 mei 2009, at 21:17, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:

without going into SANergy per se, I would suggest to you to think
very carefully what problem you want to solve by using any SAN-shared
filesystem.

I'm not looking to solve a problem just looking for input as it
relates
to SANergy and setting up a new environment in a new location and only
if it makes sense to do so.

You are. You want to segregate backup traffic from production traffic.
We (me too) techies tend to think in terms of solutions first,
suppress that. Define the problem first before you start looking at
solutions. Define it well. Keep things simple as possible.

If I understand SANergy correctly it's a way to back up data in a SAN
environment to disk pool on a SAN by keeping it off the regular
network.

It is a way yes. BTW, since TSM 6.1 GPFS is also supported for LAN-
free to disk, and is a much better FS than SANergy. If you want to go
the SAN-shared filesystem look at GPFS first. Better, look at every
solution on earth first before you look at SANergy.

If that is a correct assumption it is why I asked for responses to my
statement about comparisons to a segregated network instead.

Ok, now, keep in mind, I don't like SANergy. IMNSHO it has been poorly
designed. Also, IMNSHO, LANfree is a lot of trouble in maintaining the
client. I'd first consider using 802.1Q VLAN tagging. Supported on all
operating systems, easy to configure and a lot cheeper. But, it's not
physical separations, so if you need that, 802.1Q is not for you. It
all depends on the problem you are trying to solve ;-) What are you
limitations?

If moving
the backups to a segregated backup network would be just as fast
then it
seems to make sense it would be a simpler environment.

It usually is, and usually a lot less expensive. If the only reason to
buy a stack of SAN switches would be TSM, you'll also need a lot of
extra knowledge, if you need the SAN anyway, than that is not an
issue....

LAN Free direct
to tape doesn't seem to me is going to produce the same results since
from what I understand you would be more limited by the number of tape
drives available to the, lets say 200 nodes backing up.

unless you go vtl. I like the gresham VTL for such an application, but
there are many. All have their strong and week points.

I'm really looking for info and recommendations since I have no
problems
yet. If I'm going to be able to put up a system in a new environment
what would be advisable given I'm probably not going to get to
purchase
direct attached storage, as in a DS4800, or new tape drives, but I
should be able to get SAN attached disk storage instead. Of course I
would prefer to stick with AIX and keep things simple.

shameless plug: I'd gladly help you design your next TSM environment,
there are so many considerations... We might even wind up using
SANergy in the end ;-) Really....

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator