ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] how HSM (Linux) works?

2009-05-26 06:31:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] how HSM (Linux) works?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:30:12 +0200
On 26 mei 2009, at 10:58, Gennadiy Khramov wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone explain HSM works. What it use for connections with tsm
server
and transmitting data?

Which HSM? HSM for Unix/Linux is a completely different beast from HSM
for Windows....

As I understand all options for hsm are declaring in BA client dsm.sys
file.

I guess we're talking HSM for unix then....

So, do I right understand that HSM uses Backup-archive client
features for
transfering data to server and return without BA Client API functions?

Actually, HSM uses it's own API. There are several processes, one to
identify migration candidates, on to actually perform migration and a
background process that will recall data if needed.

Or HSM do this by themself?
And hidden question is - Will HSM correctly work, if BA client works
as
need or i need test it separately?

You'll want to test it separately, since HSM can use a different TSM
server than the BA client...

Best Regards,
Khramov Gennadiy
gkhramov AT computel DOT ru