ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DB2 and TSM performace comparisons

2009-05-15 14:37:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] DB2 and TSM performace comparisons
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:32:55 -0700
Good day all,

Does anyone know if there are any docs out there that show performance
comparisons for the different platforms or AIX and Linux specifically? I
am not looking for info related to 6.1 just TSM in general. If anyone
running on a Linux platform would like to respond with info that would
also help I think. I'd be curious about db size, number of objects,
expiration run time, number of nodes backing up, hardware used for disk
pools and tape devices. All things I can compare to what we have.

I'm also curious if IBM has a definitive answer to the question of being
able to move a TSM 6.1 DB2 DB to any other platform. If not supported
with the current 6.1 release will it ever be? I thought I had read at
this time it was still not supported but with the implementation of DB2
I wonder if the tune is changing.

Both of these questions relate to folks wanting to cut costs and move
everything I've ever had on AIX to a different platform, something I'm
not keen about.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Oh, one more thing. If anyone is using an EMC VTL I'd like to hear what
you think about it and what you looked at before making the decision to
go with it.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator