ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 - can I do a X server platform database restore?

2009-04-29 23:19:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 - can I do a X server platform database restore?
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:15:55 +0000

Clearly, this is not exactly the case;  LAN-free data is written to tape in a
format that *any* hosting TSM server can read/restore/migrate/etc.  It's the
DATABASE data (and metadata) that is stored in formats consistent with the
hosting TSM server's OS-platform --- one issue has been the
bigindian-littleindian issue, mostly (though there are some other issues, too
-- such as LBA's and other such OS-filesystem-dependent things).  There were
rumors that some x86-based OS's might be able to handle "some" items in a
x-platform kinda way, but it's not been reported the degree of success.

-Don