ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Thinking of changing data retention for large client

2009-04-29 17:44:49
Subject: [ADSM-L] Thinking of changing data retention for large client
From: "Bell, Charles (Chip)" <Chip.Bell AT BHSALA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:41:21 -0500

From: Bell, Charles (Chip)
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:55 PM
To: 'ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU'

I have a copygroup set up for a domain that is strictly a bunch of nodes for
a document imaging application, millions of files each. I am going to change
the backups from the incremental-forever to image backups. Also, I am going
to change the retention to where I would only keep the active copy of each,
and that's it. I don't want any inactive copies, and I don't want to keep
them around for ANY amount of time, only the active. Reason being, the files
in those NTFS file systems never change, and they are only archives.

Here is the current config

Versions Data Exists        2

Versions Data Deleted   1

Retain Extra Versions     30

Retain Only Version        60

Based on my comments above, would that need to be?:

Versions Data Exists        1

Versions Data Deleted   0

Retain Extra Versions     0

Retain Only Version        0

Please help...This is one of the parts I hate about TSM. I know it's probably
simple, but I never can seem to remember what each retention parameter (as
shown above) MEANS!  J

God bless you!!!

Chip Bell
Network Engineer I
IBM Tivoli Certified Deployment Professional (ITSM)
Baptist Health System
Birmingham, AL