ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Verifying EXPORT NODE is successful with Q OCC - LOGICAL SPACE OCCUPIED (MB) differences?

2009-04-21 05:35:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] Verifying EXPORT NODE is successful with Q OCC - LOGICAL SPACE OCCUPIED (MB) differences?
From: David McClelland <david.mcclelland AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:34:16 +0100
Hi Team,

I’ve performed an EXPORT NODE operation from a source TSM server (Windows
5.4.3.2) to a target server (AIX 5.5.1.1) over TCP/IP with the TOSERVER
option. All appears to have completed successfully, the processes on both
TSM Servers report SUCCESS with no errors. However, being of a cautious
nature (particularly with others’ data) I’m doing some additional
verification, and it’s a comparison of the `Q OCC` output on the two servers
that I want to double-check as there's something which has me a little
concerned.

On the source server (i.e. that from which I issued the EXPORT NODE) the
relevant exported filespace looks like this:

tsm: CENTSM02>q occ CENCONMGR02_CONT /ICM/RMDB/00001/CSXMGMT

Node Name      Type     Filespace       FSID     Storage        Number of
Physical       Logical
                        Name                     Pool Name          Files
Space         Space

Occupied      Occupied

(MB)          (MB)
----------     ----     ----------     -----     ----------     ---------
---------     ---------
<NODENAME>     Bkup     <FILESPACE>         5     LTOCONTC          85,299
16,119.97     16,119.97

On the target server it looks like this:

tsm: ARCTSM01>q occ CENCONMGR02_CONT /ICM/RMDB/00001/CSXMGMT
ANR2017I Administrator DAVID.MCCLELLAND issued command: QUERY OCCUPANCY
CENCONMGR02_CONT /ICM/RMDB/00001/CSXMGMT

Node Name      Type     Filespace       FSID     Storage        Number of
Physical       Logical
                        Name                     Pool Name          Files
Space         Space

Occupied      Occupied

(MB)          (MB)
----------     ----     ----------     -----     ----------     ---------
---------     ---------
<NODENAME>     Bkup     <FILESPACE>         2     CONT_DISK        85,299
16,098.71     16,098.71

Apols if this doesn't come out clearly when converted to plain text, but in
summary the NUMBER OF FILES reported is identical (85,299) between source
and target, and the PHYSICAL SPACE OCCUPIED (MB) is not - which is down to
empty space in aggregates on the source.

However, what I want to double check is why the LOGICAL SPACE OCCUPIED (MB)
isn't the same - I'd have expected that these would have identical. There's
a 20MB difference between the source and target, with less on the target.
The variables that I can immediately think of are different TSM Server code
and platform, and the storage media (LTO2 on source, DISK on target).

Any ideas? I'm certainly happy that the number of files adds up and that the
EXPORT/IMPORT NODE commands completed apparently successfully, but I'd like
to be able to explain the difference in LOGICAL SPACE OCCUPIED, or
understand if this figure is indeed definitive or subject to rounding etc.

Thanks & Rgds,

David Mc
London, UK

Checked by AVG.