ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Schedule Repetition 1st - 3rd week

2009-04-14 09:41:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Schedule Repetition 1st - 3rd week
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:16:37 -0500
See Ya'
Howard

Actually Remco, he may very well know what he's talking about, it maybe
the luser app admin, or the vendor who are requiring this.  We do full
Exchange, Oracle, and SQL TDP backups on a regular basis, as he
describes above.  And, we have apps where the "Vendor requirement" was
weekly fulls.  I told the vendor we were covered and for them not to
worry about it, then did what I normally do.  Hehe.

He doesn't mention whether this is for a TDP application, or Straight up
File Backups.  I wouldn't assume either until we get more info.  You are
right, if he's thinking "full" for File backups either he, or the folks
requiring it, don't understand how TSM works.  More often than not, it's
not the TSM guy such as ourselves, who get this wrong, it's the
"Management", or the paranoid application Admin folks who don't
understand the Tech behind TSM.

And, as Remco says, you have to play with the Advanced Schedules.
However, what I'm interested in, is the reason behind just one schedule.
Why not two or three or even four? As long as the intended goal is met.
I have SQL Server nodes that are routinely associated with three
schedules.  1 that does a weekly full,  1 that does a daily diff, and 1
that runs a log backup every 4 hours with truncate.  I have others that
are associated with 5, the three mentioned above, plus 1 for Quarterly
full, and 1 for monthly full, these are kept for an extended periods of
time (10 years and 5 years verses the normal 30 days) that the normal
routine isn't.  (medical regulatory reasons).