ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backup stg with VTL tape in use

2009-04-06 13:47:37
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backup stg with VTL tape in use
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:47:17 -0400
I have TSM server 5.4.3.0 and an IBM 3584 library with LTO2/3 drives.

Recently installed a Diligent VTL.  I have migrated one of my smallest
Storage pools to VTL and find one problem.  In this Domain, I have one
Windows client that takes about 23 hours to backup - 10's of millions of files.

With VTL, I got rid of my Disk Pool for this Domain.  Now when I do a
"Backup stg" from my VTL pool to real LTO tape, it is waiting for Virtual
tape that client is writing to.  Client only backs up about 5 GB  a day, so
most times writing little or nothing, however the VTL tape is "IN USE".

Is there a way to "breakin" to tape and force new tape to mount?  I have
looked at TSM server doc and don't see it.

I have well over 400 clients and about a dozen are like this, taking well
6-24 hours to backup.  Thinking about it some, the only, or the simplest
option I see, is to take these dozen clients and put them in a Domain
by them selves that will still use a disk pool.  Part of the reason for
VTL was to get rid of disk pools.  (DEDup and faster restores was primary
reason.)

Anything simple I have missed?  (We have already looked at making these
clients run in less time, we are stuck with what we have for some time to come.)

Thanks,
David Longo

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it,
and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views
or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender
is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.