ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM sharing a library.

2009-03-31 12:41:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM sharing a library.
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:40:29 +0200
On Mar 31, 2009, at 18:07 , Tom Wright wrote:

Duane,

There is a product called the Clareti Storage Director that will allow
you to share a library and drives amongst multiple TSM servers.

This is basically a product not unlike a VTL, a bit overkill if your
only objective is to share a library. SCSI libs can be shared by TSM
natively. It's easy to configure and doesn't cost a thing, just:

1- configure TSM server2server communications for command routing
between the designated library manager and all other servers
2- define lib as shared=yes on the designated library manager
3- define lib as libtype=shared on all other servers
4- define drive paths for all drives to all servers on library manager

It should be somewhere in the IBM docs and maybe even in a redpaper
somewhere. On the other hand, it's so easy that the help command
should be all you need ;-)

Note: I've actually worked with the Gresham VTL before it was called a
Storage Director. It's a nice system, but not just for library sharing
with TSM. (If otoh, you happen to have other applications that would
want to use the same drives and library once in a while, please
consider Gresham as a real solution).

Tom

tel:   512-407-2609