ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question regarding subfilebackup

2009-03-29 21:20:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question regarding subfilebackup
From: Stephan Boldt <stephan.boldt+adsm-l AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 01:07:44 +0100
Hi Steven,

VCB cuts the virtual disk file in 2 GB slices so that should be no
problem. Using subfilebackup is actually the IBM-recommended  way do
vcb fullvm backups. See TSM 5.4 & 5.5 Technical Guide
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247447.pdf)

p. 346:
"Before performing the Tivoli Storage Manager backup, we will enable
subfile backup. Subfile backup is optional; however the fullvm
operation is an ideal application for this function."

Unfortunately they don't say anything about restore when using subfile
backup. It would be really annoying having one basefile and 320 daily
subfile deltas all of which have to be collected by TSM from various
tapes. That would be really no fun, I suppose...  :-(

kind regards,
Stephan