ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon

2009-03-24 15:33:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon
From: Jim Zajkowski <jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:29:48 -0400
On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Kauffman, Tom wrote:

The TSM database is about 30 GB used of 46 GB assigned. We have a
sub-rate T1 to our hot-site, with an RS-6000 installed. We are
currently running mksysb images out to the system with rsync; they
run to about 4.7 GB each and take about 1.2 hours. They also put
enough load on the corporate internet link that we can only run them
from 19:00 to 05:30 local time.

rsync, at least modern versions, have a bandwidth limiter option.

We store our database copies offsite using rsync (to a Solaris box
running ZFS with compression; with gzip compression enabled we're
seeing compression ratios of around 8.5x).

You could also consider other places to stash your database if you
have a better connection to the 'net than your DR site.  There are
companies that provide remote rsync space, joyent comes to mind, or
even amazon's s3 storage (not rsync).  I don't work in the Corporate
World so I have the flexibility to use those tools; YMMV.

--Jim