ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Two different retention policies for the same node

2009-03-19 09:12:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Two different retention policies for the same node
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:57:50 -0400
(7 days of retention at the DR site also sounds bogus to me - why 7? Sounds
like they don't really know what they need and you should reexamine RTO and
RPO.)

But regardless of that, here's what I would recommend to solve the problem
as stated:

For the primary site, keep your 180 days retention.
On the DR site, set up the same mgmt classes but with 7 days retention.

On the primary site each day do an incremental EXPORT of the nodes.
An incremental export is one that specifies EXPORT filedata=all with
fromdate/fromtime specified as 24 hours ago.

That will put only the new data on tape.
Send those tapes to the DR site and IMPORT.
The data that rolls into the DB & disk pool at the DR site will be governed
by the mgmt classes there, i.e. 7 days retention.

Better to do the export directly to the remote TSM server instead of to
tape, if you have the bandwidth. (If you don't have the bandwidth, then your
mgmt isn't serious about doing the DR this way.)

Also, I'm not a big fan of replicating backup data, which is what you're
really doing here.  If you're going to spend the money to have a live DR
site, why not use replication techology to replicate the LIVE applications
to the DR site, instead of the backup data?  You generally move less data
per day, and you have business continuance, not just backup.