ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup up a NetApp Filer without using NDMP

2009-03-19 09:12:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup up a NetApp Filer without using NDMP
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:04:53 -0400
I have more customers that backup their filers by mounting the shares to a
Windows box than I do using NDMP.

It's slower, but it gives you true incrementals and lets you specify
retention using TSM's normal  mgmt classes, and it makes individual file
restores easier.  You usually end up sending less data per day across your
network, and you don't have to manage retention by keeping the NDMP full
dumps around, so you usually have less of a storage problem on the TSM
server end.

The big drawback is if you have a total filer disaster and you need to
restore the whole thing, mass restores via the mounted shares is gonna be
too slow.

A good compromise is an NDMP dump via TCP/IP every week or so with a short
retention, plus incrementals via the regular client on a Windows box using
normal/long retentions.  That way if you have a disaster you can put the
NDMP dump back, then do a "restore if newer" to roll that image back up to
date.  But you don't have to keep many NDMP dumps in your TSM storage pool.