ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape performance (was: Re: Preferred TSM Platform)

2009-02-28 12:49:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape performance (was: Re: Preferred TSM Platform)
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:47:53 -0600
An interesting source of tape drive performance data is the TSM server
itself, in the SUMMARY table.

Extract it with SELECT into a comma-delimited or tab-delimited file, and
then read it in to any popular statistical program like SPSS or SAS. You
have to match up the records for processes such as MIGRATION,
RECLAMATION, MOVE DATA... with the corresponding TAPE MOUNT records to
track it down to the individual drive, but that's not rocket science in
a stat program. Subtract media wait time, and you've got pretty good
tape drive performance informaiton.

Every day, I have a cron process that extracts the previous day's
SUMMARY data into a file. But for exploration, you could simply extract
the entire 30-days SUMMARY table into a file and then work that over
with SAS or SPSS to get some very intersting stats.

This is, of course, measuring only end-to-end tape subsystem speed.
There is no way to separate out the bus, controllers, the drives, etc.
But since you are collecting all of it, rather than spot anecdotal
measurements, and since you do have specific drive names in the data, it
gains quite a bit of statistical validity. You can also correlate the
data with what kind of operation it is e.g. migration, reclamation, move
data, client backup, etc.

A distinct advantage is that it requires no instrumentation other than
the TSM server itself, so you can get this data in brain-dead systems
like Windows just fine. Another distinct advantage of this data source
is that it's measuring it where it really matters - how much data TSM
actually can push through that pathway. Therefore it's easy to track
whether changes such as splitting drives out among multiple controllers,
helps or not.

P.S. I like AIX systems for TSM servers too. The best server system for
large data I/O throughput. If you don't use AIX, you'll find yourself
splitting servers much earlier, and into far more small pieces.

====== "If you torture the data long enough, they will confess." =======