ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

2009-02-26 11:14:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:12:22 -0700
I have to disagree with that.  We routinely run multiple (up to six, and the
only reason it's only six is we don't have any more to test so perhaps more
will run) LTO4 drives as fast as they want to run using and IBM x3850
processor.  We run four at a time using an x3650.  The buses are PCI-E, drives
are either SAS or FC.  Would that box run six or eight of the IBM fancy pants
drives? I don't know, haven't ever seen it tried.

For most sites, Windows and the crummy little hardware it runs on will be just
fine.  For you big fellas, not so much. If you are in the "gotta push
3-6TB/day" Windows will work.  For you 10TB/day folks, maybe not.

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive