ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

2009-02-26 10:58:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform
From: Sergio Fuentes <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:57:44 -0500
We're actually considering a new platform for future TSM servers simply because
we're not an AIX shop anymore (TSM being the lone holdout).  We're not a very
good windows shop either, and our strength is really in Solaris and/or Linux,
technically speaking.

When I compare the hardware and LVM features for Solaris with those of Linux, I
can see the benefits of Solaris.  But this listserv group has me second-guessing
myself since I have yet to hear from someone with a Solaris-based TSM
infrastructure.  (I would stick with AIX if I could, but you know... politics).

Solaris 10 and the built-in features of ZFS alone have kind of swayed me towards
Solaris.  It's the only native LVM-based filesystem that I think can compete
with what I'm used to, namely JFS2.  As for hardware, Sun offers some pretty
hefty I/O-centric boxes, with a hefty pricetag.  But the pricey p650 that we're
on now has lasted almost 7 years, is still very stable and not breaking much of
a sweat.  Still, the range of servers that Sun offers (which I don't see in the
Dell world) is another advantage.

Any thoughts from anyone running a TSM server on Solaris?  We could use the
insight since I believe we'll be rolling out a development environment on
Solaris as a proof-of-concept.  Anyone familiar with DB2 performance on Solaris?

Thanks!
SF