ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

2009-02-25 11:27:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:25:16 -0500
Been there.......tried to do that..........and would never put TSM on a
Windoze box.

Your environment is a big factor in platform decisions.

When we first discussed moving off AIX (yes, I would have loved to have
stayed on AIX but it was decided by higher-ups that AIX was not a
"strategic platform" and was told to move to an x86 platform), I tried to
put up a Windoze TSM server.  I quickly found out that Windoze does not
play well in a SAN/shared device environment.  Every time I tried to get
the Windoze server to use a tape drive, it would kill all tape processes
on the other TSM servers (it has the "Bill Gates"
persona.......MINE....ALL MINE.......I WANT TO OWN/CONTROL IT
ALL.......;--)).  There were constant SAN issues.

So, we went to Linux and haven't looked back. Everything worked the first
time.  No issues with sharing resources/SAN, etc. Granted, we overload our
servers (190GB DB with over 300M objects, 200+ nodes per server), but they
work and share resources just fine and a RedHat Linux license is cheap
($50/server)

Just my $.02 worth

"Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
02/25/2009 10:11 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

   If you are going to consider Solaris or HP for a TSM server, pause
and think when was the last time that these companies participated in a
lovefest?  Trying to troubleshoot a driver, hba or performance issue
would be like asking a Nancy Pelosi to throw a birthday party for George
Bush.

Life is easier if you stick with AIX or Windows for a TSM server.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.