ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform

2009-02-25 09:52:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preferred TSM Platform
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:45:16 -0500
 I agree with that up to a point.

"I/O, I/O, it's all about I/O" --- me

The majority of my customers have Windows TSM servers - precisely because
there are more small/medium sites in the world than large ones.

TSM on Windows is very stable and very effective.  The only problem I have
with it is the hardware.  Only the very largest Windows servers have enough
HBA slots to support more than about 4 tape drives (if you want to have
bandwidth to really run LTO3 or LTO4 or 3592.)  And adding HBA's to a
Windows box doesn't necessarily give you more throughput.

And there is NO instrumentation in Windows to give you any idea whatever
about what is going on performance-wise on a bus with tape drives attached.
My Windows customers that have LTO3 and LTO4 attached get great capacity,
but don't come anywhere near pushing the drives at full speed.

AIX on P-series hardware, on the other hand, is a screaming I/O machine.
You can push amazing amounts of data through one.

So in general (and this is just based on my experience with my customers and
YMMV):

-if you have a site that is pushing 2 TB of data per day or less, it will
work fine on Windows, you won't have to tune anything, it will just run.

-If you have a site that needs to push more than 5-6 TB of data per day, for
sure stick with AIX.

In between, you have to plan your hardware config CAREFULLY and think a lot
about architecture before going to a Windows TSM server.