ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backups direct to tape

2009-02-23 15:36:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backups direct to tape
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:35:25 -0700
And moving it from the old to TSM is virtually impossible. It would require a
restore of the data and then an archive of it into TSM. As you state, figuring
what data that is is the issue and not easily (if at all) resolvable.  Write
off the 3000 tapes, keep the last of the catalogs around and cross your fingers
to nobody will ask for data from them. I think undergoing a project to move
that old data is a complete waste of time.

But once on TSM, you'll never have that stupid problem again! Simply continue
to move your archive data to the latest tape technology as your implementation
moves.

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.