ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3494 Partitioning

2009-02-17 15:47:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3494 Partitioning
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:45:35 -0500
Depends on what you mean by "error"...what's the message, and what tape
management system software is in use on z/OS?

With a 3494 attached to z/OS, any time a cart goes through the door, an I/O
interrupt is sent to each successive z/OS lpar.  (In an order you can't
control).

That interrupt causes the invocation of the tape acceptance exit (which is
provided by your z/OS tape management software, but has to be customized a
bit locally).  The exit is supposed to interrogate the tape management
system data base, and send back a return code.

I don't remember exactly what the return codes are, but the end result is
either
1) Yes, that is my tape - assign my category code to it,  or
2) No, that is not my tape, give the next LPAR a crack at it.

If no LPAR accepts that tape, it remains in INSERT status (the "up for
grabs" category code).  So it's still available for a CHECKIN by TSM.

So every time a 3592 goes through the door, you'll see a message on the z/OS
console to the effect that the tape exit has rejected that tape, on every
z/OS lpar.

(Likewise, when you put 3590's in through the door, you'll see a message on
the z/OS console to the effect that the tape exit on 1 LPAR has claimed the
tape, and the tape exit on the other LPAR's has rejected the tape.)

This is "working as designed".
If you are seeing something different, there may be something wrong with
your tape exit.

Your CE may have talked to someone who thinks you have a "new" 3494
replacement, which is the 3953.  (The 3953 is a hybrid beast somewhat like
the mythical griffin, that had a the body of a lion and the head of an
eagle.)

It consists of a TS3500 (the library formerly known as 3584) with ALMS that
works on the open systems side like -- you guessed it, a 3584.  Then the
3953 part is a rack full of equipment that emulates a 3494 and its library
manager, including the Escon controller.  The 3593 talks to z/OS as a 3494,
but uses the robotics of the TS3500.  In that configuration, yes the open
systems have to have their own partition, created with ALMS in the TS3500.
In that configuraiton, the TS3500/3584 side and the 3953 side are pretty
much ignorant of each other - you even still have 2 separate web
interfaces.

But:  there are no "open systems partitions" on an real (old) 3494 - just
category codes.