ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] cannot run command

2009-02-11 18:42:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] cannot run command
From: "Conway, Timothy" <Timothy.Conway AT JBSSA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:40:19 -0700
Ashish:  Your situation is somewhat familiar to me.  I've had the server
process become selectively and increasingly unresponsive, to the point
where sometimes the only way to get it down is with a kill -TERM.  It
most often happens when I do storage-related queries while waiting for a
tape operation, or database-heavy operations while running a nasty
select, or especially, when I've got a tape that's "being checked in or
out" with no checkin or checkout running.
Since the server is responsing to you still in some degree, if you can
get a brief window for a halt/start, you'll be able to clear it up
quickly.  When it's like that, commonly the listener on 1500 stays open
long after the dsmserv process is gone, so wait for that to go away.
tconway@LUSGR0099V2ZLV
/home/tconway>ssh tsmserv netstat -an|grep 1500.*LIST
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.
tcp4       0      0  *.1500                 *.*
LISTEN
tconway@LUSGR0099V2ZLV
/home/tconway>
If you try to start the server process before that port is available,
the start will fail.
I've had a couple times where it was wedged so badly that after waiting
40 minutes for the port to become available, I had to reboot.  I'm known
for revealing flaws in the code.