ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Version Interoperability...

2009-02-11 16:46:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Version Interoperability...
From: km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:41:44 +0100
On 11/02, Ochs, Duane wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a rule of thumb for version interoperability ?
> I'm prepping to upgrade my three TSM servers to 5.5.1.1 from 5.4.3.0
>
> I'm going through and upgrading my clients to 5.5.*.* and found some W2K
> boxes running 5.2.2 and some AIX 5.2 boxes running 5.2.2 .
>
> Neither of those are listed as being supported by the client TSM version
> of 5.5.
> Any suggestions for interoperability before I start researching the last
> TSM version that supported W2K and AIX 5.2.2?
>
> Thanks,
> Duane

If you're only using the baclient (normal tsm backup client) there is
practically no limit on version intermixing. I've hade customers running
3.x clients against 5.4 servers so 5.x against a 5.5 shouldnt be be a
problem but YMMV.

On Windows you _might_ get problems with systemstate on wildly different
TSM versions but running TSM 5.3 client on Win2k (last supported version)
works without a hitch against 5.5 server, even so for the 5.2/5.3 baclient
on AIX.

My rule of thumb is, try it, it will most probably work!

Ofcourse this is is not supported but neither is win2k :)

-km