ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] reading tape wirthout tsm

2009-02-11 07:40:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] reading tape wirthout tsm
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:39:01 -0500
On Feb 11, 2009, at 7:26 AM, Hana Darzi wrote:

Can I  read TSN backup/archive client tape  without tsm database.

I need delete archive files that maybe on the tape,  and I do not have

Database .

Is it any utility?

You might be able to physically read data from TSM tapes, depending
upon tape vs. drive compatibilities, compression, and encryption; but
you'd be hard-pressed to identify the right tape to read, or position
to the right spot.

Tapes are not like disks: you don't delete files from within them.
TSM expires data by eliminating its knowledge of file locations on
tapes, but the data stays on the tapes until the tapes are re-used.
If you need to wipe data from a tape, your choices are to write over
the tape or physically destroy the tape.

   Richard Sims