ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Another ANR8972E Conundrum

2009-02-10 09:02:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Another ANR8972E Conundrum
From: Robin Lowe <robin.lowe AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:59:33 -0000
Hi Folks

I have encountered the ANR8972E issue a few times and have looked back at
the archives, but I am still stuck!

Here is the issue:
AIX 5.3
TSM AIX Server 5.4.3.2

This server currently has two 3584 libraries each with 10 LTO3 drives on a
SAN.
Two new Physical TS3500 Libraries have been installed each with 16 LTO4
drives.

The installation process was:
Install Library and LTO4 drives.
Connect fibres to new HBA's on AIX servers and SAN switches.
Discover new HBA's on AIX.
Complete zoning for new LTO4 drives.
Configure ALMS with new logical libraries and LTO4 drives.
Discover new drives and libraries on AIX.

On TSM:
Define Libraries (1 command for each library)
  def library <libname> libtype=scsi shared=no autol=no

Define Library Paths (1 command for each library path)
  DEFINE PATH <TSM Server> <libname> srct=server destt=library
devi=/dev/smc4 online=yes

Run 'show slots <libname.' - to check each library can see the 16 drive
elements and associated media slots.

Define Drives (16 for library1 and 16 for libary2)
  define drive <libname>  <drive name>

Define drive paths (16 for library1 and 16 for libary2) - this is where we
get the 'ANR8972E DEFINE PATH: Unable to find the element number for drive
<drive name> in library <lib name>.'

  DEFINE PATH <TSM Server> <drive anme> srct=server destt=drive libr=<lib
name> devi=/dev/rmt44 online=yes

However, on one library all 16 paths are defined okay, but the other library
all 16 Define Path Commands fail with ANR8972E.

I double checked that a 'show slots <libname>' still displayed the 16 drive
elements and that was true.

Therefore I arranged a restart of TSM, but to no avail.

I have checked that the LTO4 device serial numbers from an AIX 'lscfg -vp'
match with the actual device serial numbers in the TS3500, which they do.

I had considered removing the new devices from AIX and rerunning cfgmgr, but
I am not certain that this is an appropriate course of action as we know
that one library is fully functional as far as TSM is concerned.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Robin Lowe