ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SV: Crazy idea or not?

2009-02-02 07:52:20
Subject: [ADSM-L] SV: Crazy idea or not?
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:45:49 +0100
Hi Daniel,
Welcome back, longtime I heard anything from you. :D

1. Customer don't want to run any other OS then Windows.
2. Our issue today is that their Windows Servers is already have to much to do.
The I/O that TSM generates today is to much for Windows and NTFS to handle. If
we where running Linux and EXT4 then should we have much better performance and
shouldn't have this issues today.
3. Because of all the I/Os that Windows can't deal with, it automatic put the
CPU in 80-100% used. And this is why we don't have multiple instance.

4. Our goal is to get more out of the hardware and not end where Windows has it
limit.
5. End-User is today backing up more then 500+ servers to one single Windows
TSM Server, but now are we splitting up that server to 1 Library Manager and 3
front-end TSM Servers. On each server will we have max 200 servers. This is not
limited to how many TSM can handle. It is only because our backup Windows is
only Max 4 hours and each server backup in average 300 GB per night

6. This is still only a test and will not run in productions.
If I could choose I should run either Linux or AIX.

Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cell: +46-70-325 1577
E-mail: Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se
Skype: cristie.christian.svensson