ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exclude Files From Restore?

2009-01-27 17:23:25
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exclude Files From Restore?
From: Robben Leaf <robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:20:51 -0600
Greetings,

In our environment, restores are by and large performed by the Operations
group. These are a simple folk, unschooled in the murky depths of ADvanced
STorage And Retrieval.

It has come to pass that the Threat and Vulnerability group is battling a
virus contamination. The infection takes the form of a file of a specific
name, which can appear anywhere on an infected server. It is too late to
prevent this file name from getting backed up to TSM.

A representative of the Threat and Vulnerability group has appealed to me
to configure TSM to prevent the possibility of this file name from being
restored inadvertently by Operations, for they are many, and work in
shifts, and are unlikely to consistently heed our admonitions.

>From what I can tell, Excludes in an option file or client option set only
apply to backups and archives, not to restores or retrievals.

I have considered waylaying each of the Operations group and tattooing the
offending file name on the inside of their eyelids, but that seems
impractical. They are scattered among multiple locations across the
country.

Seriously, though, is there a way in TSM to prevent already-backed-up
files from being restored?

Thanks,

Robben Leaf

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.