ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SQL TDP lan free backup on VMWARE

2009-01-26 18:23:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SQL TDP lan free backup on VMWARE
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:07:54 +1100
Hi Stef.

Everyone seems to forget that the TSM for SAN client does not have to be on
the same box as the data being backed up.

How about (ie this is an idea, not proven)  installing TSM for SAN on the
physical hardware on which your VMWare client is hosted, and having the
backup routed through it.  That will allow the use of TDP, the data first
running over the internal virtual nic at machine speeds and then across the
SAN to the tape drive.  Of course there may be Linux tape driver/kernel
version issues with this, but it is worth investigation.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris, TSM Admin
Sydney Australia

             Stef Coene
             <stef.coene@DOCUM
             .ORG>                                                      To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] SQL TDP lan free
                                       backup on VMWARE

             27/01/2009 08:05
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

On Monday 26 January 2009, Mark Stapleton wrote:
> You'd be surprised on what little difference there can be between LAN and
> SAN backups. However...
>
> Your next best bet is to do a dump of the database to a flat file, and
then
> using the LAN-free storage agent to back that up across the SAN (to tape
> only, I'm afraid). If you don't have the storage agent license purchased,
> you'll need to do that in order to do SAN-based backups on that box.
Euh, you can dump the file to a flat file, but you can only use the LAN to
backup the SAN because you don't have access to SAN hardware.

For LAN speed vs SAN speed, it doesn't matter because you can use the SAN
for
backups.
Like posted before, you will be surprised about the speed you will get over
the LAN.

Stef