ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Move Encryption Key to another machine

2009-01-23 03:01:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Move Encryption Key to another machine
From: Thomas Rupp <Thomas.Rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:00:21 +0100
Sorry, that was missing from my posting.
Our admin used regedit export/import to move the TSM registry keys to another
machine.
Keys moved:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes\<nodename>\<tsmserver>

This is what I think how TSM works:
The encryption key is encrypted using the hostname returned by the operating
sytem.
Then the encryption key is saved in the registry.
To backup or restore data TSM needs to decrypt the encryption key using the
hostname
returned by the operating system.
That's why I think you can't move the encrypted key to another machine. TSM
would use
the hostname returned by the operating system (this is not the same as on the
original
machine) to decrypt the encryption key. Here TSM would return an error because
the
decryption fails.

But when we moved the registry keys to another machine (different hostname) TSM
didn't
ask for the encryption key. In our opinion this is a security flaw.
We want to use encryption so that data can only be restored to the original
machine (=
hostname).

I hope I could make myself clear. Please excuse my bad english but -
unfortunately -
I'm no native speaker.

Thanks
Thomas Rupp