ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Strange behavior on DB(?) or Log(?)

2009-01-21 19:09:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Strange behavior on DB(?) or Log(?)
From: Mark Stapleton <Mark.Stapleton AT CDW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:07:26 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Fred Johanson
We've got two machines which are identical in every way, same hardware, same
AIX, same TSM level, same options set, same storage pools, domains, everything
except one has the DB and Log on local disk.  On this box things run very
slowly: expiration may take a week, filespace deletion creeps, and we see this
as the normal behavior

All of the operations you describe above involve database and log transactions.
Since you've eliminated everything else, I would suspect you've got substandard
local disk (or possibly a corrupt database).

Since correcting a possible database issue will take a good deal of time and
effort, have you given thought to trying something easier, such as putting the
dbvols and logvols on SAN- or iSCSI-attached disk?

--
Mark Stapleton
System engineer, CDW