ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How can i see the files stored on a filespace on a node

2009-01-21 14:33:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How can i see the files stored on a filespace on a node
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:30:20 -0500
On Jan 21, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Todd D. Taft wrote:

I've issued SQL queries on the server similar to the one you
suggested, and I've noticed that they are much slower than if I
issue the equivalent queries using the ba client.  Does the ba
client issue a different query to get its information, or is there
some reason why the ba client queries are able to respond much
faster than the server SQL queries?

The client employs "old family secret" type programming to perform its
interactions with the server, similar to the API, but more optimized.

Is there a way that a TSM administrator, who might not know the node
password, can access the standard client to issue the various
commands on the client? ...

Not really; nor should they be able to. The TSM server administrator
is not intended to have such capabilities, by design, as the details
of the data is not within the purview of the server admin.  The data
belongs to the group using the TSM client, where they are given the
tools to examine and manage their data.  The server administrator's
job is to assure the health of the storage pools holding the data,
rather than delve into what's in there.

  Richard Sims