ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 2 Windows 2003 clients with huge # of files consistently failing

2009-01-15 09:27:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] 2 Windows 2003 clients with huge # of files consistently failing
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:26:42 -0500
I have two separate Windows 2003 boxes both running running  v5.5.1.10
client that are both failing their incrementals every night. Both of these
boxes have hundreds of thousand of files all spread into multiple
directories. In fact, each day, a new directory is created and then
multiple subdirectories are created under it and thousand of files in each
of those subdirectories. The reason I say this is because I don't think it
is a candidate for multiple virtual nodes because of the new directories
that are created every day.

I do have journaling turned on although it doesn't seem to help with the
large number of files either as when I run an incremental manually,it takes
forever and never seems to finish.

I thought about doing image backups of the drive where the thousands of
files live but when I tried it, it backed up about 14g and then just hung
and never continued. I had to cancel it after waiting for an hour or so.

What is my best strategy for dealing with these two boxes that are
generating thousands of new files in new directories every day? The huge
number of objects in the TSM DB are starting to cause quite a few problems
with daily processing also as expiration is running longer and longer since
I think it is choking on the number of objects.

And to make it even weirder, they both fail incrementals at night and the
only error I can find is:

ANR0481W Session 16603 for node <SERVERNAME> (WinNT) terminated
 - client did not respond within 9000 seconds. (SESSION:
 16603)

I'm starting to think that TSM is just not the backup solution for either
of these boxes.