ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Setting up TDP for Mail for an Exchange server

2009-01-07 14:26:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Setting up TDP for Mail for an Exchange server
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:24:39 -0500
Thanks Del!

This has given me a lot of information to review!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"Del Hoobler" <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
01/07/2009 09:05 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Setting up TDP for Mail for an Exchange server

Hi Joni,

OK.. that helps explain your situation much better.

Many of the customers that are using Exchange 2007 CCR clustering
use DP/Exchange along with TSM for Copy Services to enable VSS backups.
Microsoft allows you to perform VSS backups from the Exchange CCR replica
and DP/Exchange along with TSM for Copy Services fully supports that.
Backing up from the CCR replica is great because it allows you to
completely
offload the backup operations to the replica Exchange server, thus
allowing
your production Exchange server doing it main task, deliver mail.

The good news is that there is an IBM technote totally dedicated to
helping
you set this up. It is called "Automating Cluster Continuous Replication
backups for Exchange 2007". You can go to http://www.ibm.com/us/ and
search for:
        +tsm +exchange +ccr +replica +vss

... or you can find it here directly:

(This document did not make the cutoff date for the books, which is why
you won't find it in the currently released copy of the User's Guide.)

Also, to help you set up DP/Exchange along with TSM for Copy Services,
there are some additional publications (think Redbook and Whitepapers)
that can help you:

Redbook - Using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to Back Up Microsoft Exchange
with VSS

White Paper: Exchange Server 2007 SP1 VSS-Based Backup & Recovery Solution
(SVC)

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101348

White Paper: Exchange Server 2007 SP1 DS6000 and DS8000 VSS Backup
Solution
        http://w3.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101351

White Paper: IBM System Storage TSM solution for Exchange Server 2003 and
DS6000/DS8000

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101009

White Paper: IBM System Storage TSM solution for Exchange Server 2003 and
DS4000 Series

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/PRS2451

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/07/2009
08:42:24 AM:

> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>
> Hi Del,
>
> This is all new to me, so please excuse my ignorance to this topic, but
> believe they are CCR clustered pairs.  We have also installed TSM for
Copy