ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1497W Duplicate include/exclude option

2008-12-29 12:54:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1497W Duplicate include/exclude option
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:53:14 -0500
I'm not sure I understand the question based on the described symptom. I
would expect to see ANS1497W if you have INCLUDE or EXCLUDE statements
with duplicate file specs. In this case, INCLEXCL 3 and 4 have identical
file specs, so you got the message.

While there is no deterministic method for identifying all "problematic"
INCLUDE and EXCLUDE statements, it is pretty easy to see that duplicate
INCLUDE/EXCLUDE statements for identical file specs are problematic. For
example, consider these statements in dsm.opt:

INCLUDE C:\somefile
EXCLUDE C:\somefile

Why include the file on one line, but exclude it on another? The behavior
is predictable (the file will be excluded), but was that really the
intent? This is why the ANS1497W message was added to the product
somewhere in the version 4.1 maintenance stream via APAR IC27088.

In your case, there are two EXCLUDE statements, which is probably just
redundant. Nonetheless, the TSM client will call attention to it via
ANS1497W.

On a related note, INCLEXCL lines 1 and 2 can be condensed to a singe
EXCLUDE.DIR for the WINNT\TEMP directory.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/29/2008
10:33:37 AM: