ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM database on NETAPP

2008-12-17 23:01:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM database on NETAPP
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:59:22 PST
TSM Server 5.5.1 on Solaris10, Sun V240.
I need to relocate my database volumes and have been assigned a LUN on
one of our Netapp FAS6030 devices.  I allocated 6 new volumes and then
deleted one of the old volumes (5GB) and the move process started and is
running at about 600MB/hour. I'm not real familiar with the performance
characteristics of the Netapp box, but am assured by the Unix/Netapp
guys that it's a great performer (it's FC-connected).

This seems way slow to me and I haven't seen this poor performance
doing the same kind of operation on my ESS. Anyone have any experience
with the TSM database on one of these devices? I know the original
network-attached storage had write performance problems, but this seems
ridiculous.

TIA

Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.