ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Library manager oversubscription

2008-12-10 16:33:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Library manager oversubscription
From: Robben Leaf <robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:31:25 -0600
The library manager allocates the drives to the server instances that
request mounts. If more mounts are requested than there are available
drives, then the most recent mount requests have to wait until a drive
becomes available. This is a pretty common occurrence in our environment
at certain times of the day. It doesn't hurt anything - it just makes some
processes take a little longer.

There's no need to adjust the number of tape drives available to each
server, unless one server has more critical processing to do and must have
priority to the drives over the other server. If all of the drives are
available to both of the TSM instances, the library manager will honor
mount requests on available drives as the requests come in.

Robben Leaf