ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DR with VCB file backup?

2008-12-10 04:03:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] DR with VCB file backup?
From: Stephan Boldt <stephan.boldt+adsm-l AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:01:07 +0100
Hello everybody,

I am wondering if you can fully restore a destroyed virtual machine which
has been file-backed-up with VCB? For example, I have a Windows fileserver
and back up all it's files via VCB into TSM. Now let's say a dumb admin
deletes the SAN-LUN on which the VMFS resides... ;-) When I install a plain
new Windows VM, install the TSM client there and do a full restore of the
Server's data onto it's virtual disks, would the restore be successfull? Is
the server bootable afterwards or do some system files have to be on some
"special" locations on the disk which TSM doesn't honour for example?

kind regards,
Stephan