ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation

2008-12-08 13:35:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:33:59 -0500
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:27:46 -0500, "Lepre, James" <jlepre AT SOLIXINC DOT
>> COM> said:

> I have a question on how reclamation works.  I have a small library
> with 24 slots and 2 Drives.  When I start reclamation say at 90% it
> puts in tape 1 and then put in another tape to reclamate to.  It
> then ask for tapes that are not in the library so I am constantly
> checking in and out tapes to reclamate this one tape.  Could someone
> tell me how the process actually is supposed to work maybe I am
> doing something incorrect.

In general, you'll expect a full volume to have at least two partial
files (aggregates) on it: the one hanging off the beginning, and the
one hanging off the end.

You may have several others, too, if you are constricted (as it
appears you are): Every time you finish a volume, there's a partial
file there.  It's possible the "other" halves might get
disproportionately collected.

So, the checking in and out is to be expected.

How many tapes in your collection?  You may be able to make a case for
acquiring a larger library.  This can be exceptionally attractive if
you can point out that now you have to be onsite to service restores.
If you have all your data in the library, most activity can go
unattended.

I view handling-by-humans as the largest risk my tapes go through.
Minimizing those occasions is well worth it, in the long run.

- Allen S. Rout