ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Database size, Split to multiple instances or wait for version 6.1

2008-12-05 13:25:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Database size, Split to multiple instances or wait for version 6.1
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:23:48 -0500
Is this true in regards to TSM V6.1? Also Is it due out in Jan-Feb?

The biggest single change will the conversion of the database to DB2, or
UDB as it is often called these days. This will be a packaged DB2
version that will not need any maintenance by your DBAs. The DB2
database will permit the following

Online reorgs - the ability to reorganise the database without needing
to stop the TSM service
Better database integrity checking with the ability to repair database
problems online
Bigger TSM databases, so fewer servers
Bigger recovery logs, up to 256 GB with the ability to do roll-foward
recovery
The upgrade will be disruptive as the database will have to be rebuilt.
It will also mean the end of several old database commands like extend
log and extend DB, and we will need to learn some new commands instead

Other potential features in TSM 6 are

Data de-duplication
The ability to interface with external security products
Improved auditing and reporting facilities
The ability to move data and metadata between TSM servers, so
simplifying load balancing
The EXPIRE INVENTORY command will be granular, so you can expire by node
or node groups, policy domain or by data type
The ability to concurrently copy data between storage pools while
migrating to the next pool in the heirarchy, that is, concurrent
migration and storage pool backup

Regards

Allen S. Rout wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:50:23 -0500, Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>